Saturday, September 09, 2006

Radeon 9100 IGP and "INF error, Video driver not found"

I have to share this tremendous saga of what I went through when I tried to upgrade the video driver on my wife's home computer. I ended up reinstalling Windows 4 times (mostly due to lack of sleep on my part) before I figured out a key fact:

The Radeon 9100 IGP is only supported up until Catalyst 6.5. And, the "Motherboards with integrated graphics" page on ATI's site only includes Catalyst 6.4, and makes absolutely no mention of this fact. So, when you try to install Catalyst 6.8 on a machine with a Radeon 9100 IGP, you get the descriptive errors:

INF Error Video driver not found

Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup

The news is, if the current version of Catalyst gives you this error, try and install Catalyst 6.4 or 6.5 before you try screwing up your computer. Read on for the many mis-steps I took when I saw this error.

I then made it my mission to get down to a standard VGA driver before I continued. So, I uninstalled all ATI software as outlined here and rebooted. Same error. After browsing around, I found that a lot of people use Driver Cleaner Pro to uninstall the ATI drivers. So, I dutifully downloaded it, installed it, and used it to remove all things ATI, ATI Radeon, and ATI IGP from my system.

Upon rebooting, my computer would start booting up, then reboot. This happened a couple of times before I realized I was good and well hosed.

It turns out that my motherboard has not only integrated ATI video, but also integrated ATI GART and ATI IDE drivers. So, when I did Driver Cleaner's full on uninstall, it blew away some important stuff that kept Windows from booting. Other people had the same problem.

Eventually, I did a Windows repair/reinstall, and got those files copied over. (It really would have been nice to do it in recovery console, saving me the 1.5 hours of downloading and installing the 60+ security patches to Windows XP since SP2) Now, everything's back to normal, except for the stress I underwent during the process.

I used to be a master at fixing computers, now I feel like I'm losing my edge!

18 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to have read your post prior to wasting my own time. Many thanks !

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thx , you just save me 10 hours or useless research!

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, your summary over this particular problem was great. Have been having these issues with my 9100 IGP (running @ShuttleX ST61G4VP) ever since I bought it, sick of not being able to map my own hotkey for the display-device-switching i.e (ALT+F5 is really annoying). Now I'll try to grab the 6.5, plus getting it to work ;)

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost about three hour of time, then i found your blog. Thanx a lot. Know i can going sleep well cause i know what happens to me the past hours. You are great!

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

many thanks fella

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, I was tearing my hair out and your blog provides the key

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have the same problem with catalyst 6.4 or 6.5 i have the radeon 9250 and i am very desperate.
here is my e-mail please help me if you had the same problem i wasted 2 days and canĀ“t get it... encoreone@gmail.com

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff, thanks for posting this info. :)

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Umber said...

*high fives*
Same just happened to me. :P
Thanks for the pointer though, seems some brand of catalyst *will* finally work! Always a good thing. :D

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a million! Saved me alot of hassle.

I don't understand why ATI can't mention these kinds of things on their site.


Arvid

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great info. I wasted about 3 hours yesterday. I used different key words in google this am and found your post.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just when I was about to give up... I found this. I had this same problem and was like, "What the f***?"

Many thanks, good sir.

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger things4lola said...

Hi, i have had all sorts of problems trying to get Pinnacle Studio 10.8 to function but very frustrating hunting for the video card upgrade, got same messages, and got near the search for standard vga driver but got too complicated for me, so after four hours i went to bed. I sent them an email last night, but now you have given me the answer i shall try that tonight. Thanks again.

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, so THAT's why I got those goofy messages, and why, when trying to reload 6.8, the driver checkbox under custom install is grayed out. I am limping along on my Windows VGA driver right now, until I find and load 6.5. Thanks a million, kind stranger!

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are angel , i almost threw my MCE out of the windows !!!!!!
thnz thnx thnx !

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous MK said...

I rarely post comments on the net, just don't feel like it..but man, you saved me, so thanx a lot!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger sunny said...

uninstall ati drivers... go to properties of My computer.. then hardware tab nxt device manager profile.. look at the display monitor icon.. it displays the vga card name but with question mark symbol as there are no drivers.. so update driver by browsing to driver folder.. after update.. if still the problem exits dont wry.. open properties of the desktop and in the settings tab put the resolution according to ur monitor resolution... and the most best thing is to open ati control centre.. create a profile with a name and click activate.. so when u start ur computer next time.. ur saved profile with the preferred resolution helps you.. try it i have tried it and working 100% succesfully.. any doubts contact sunnyjoel005@gmail.com

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger sunny said...

uninstall ati drivers... go to properties of My computer.. then hardware tab nxt device manager profile.. look at the display monitor icon.. it displays the vga card name but with question mark symbol as there are no drivers.. so update driver by browsing to driver folder.. after update.. if still the problem exits dont wry.. open properties of the desktop and in the settings tab put the resolution according to ur monitor resolution... and the most best thing is to open ati control centre.. create a profile with a name and click activate.. so when u start ur computer next time.. ur saved profile with the preferred resolution helps you.. try it i have tried it and working 100% succesfully.. any doubts contact sunnyjoel005@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home